At least 110 people were killed in the village of Koshobe in Borno State, Nigeria, on Saturday. Since 2008, the northeastern part of the country has been plagued by a terrorist insurgency by Boko Haram and its rival faction, the Islamic State Group in West Africa, for control of the territory.
The attack, which occurred in a rice field less than 10 kilometers from Maiduguri, the capital of Borno, the epicenter of the terrorist insurgency, took place on the day of local elections in the state, the first to be held since the Boko Haram insurgency began in 2009. Since then, more than 36,000 people have been killed and more than two million people have been forced to flee their homes.
« We will ensure more militia recruitment and more hunters for our people to lead the fight in every nook and cranny of the region, » said Babagana Umara Zulum, governor of Borno State.
Terrorists have tied up and slit the throats of farmers who were working in rice fields not far from Koshobe. « Since we started this work, we haven’t had many challenges, but this time it is the biggest calamity that has ever happened to us. Here are 43 corpses that have been buried and you have seen it with your own eyes. So far, some bodies have not yet been found in the bush, it’s a frightening situation, » says Abubakar Maina, president of the Rice Farmers’ Association.
The President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, for his part, « condemned », Saturday evening, « the murder by terrorists of these farmers devoted to their work », in a statement. « The whole country is wounded by these senseless killings, » he added.
On the other hand, the UN communiqué does not mention the terrorist group Boko Haram, nor its dissident faction the Islamic State in West Africa (Iswap), which is increasing violence in the region and controls part of the Nigerian territory.