Two young demonstrators were killed Monday in Guinea, during a day of mobilization, punctuated by clashes with the police, organized by the opposition to protest against the project loaned to President Alpha Condé to run for a third term. at the end of 2020, we learned from concordant sources.
These two deaths, confirmed by the authorities, add to the death toll of at least twenty civilians and a gendarme killed since the start in mid-October of the protest, several times severely repressed, in this African country of the Customary west of murderous protests.
The protests, which have been severely repressed several times, had already caused the deaths of at least 20 civilians and a gendarme since mid-October. The National Front for the Defense of the Constitution (FNDC), the collective of parties, unions and members of civil society which is leading the protest, called from Monday onwards for a « massive » and « unlimited » mobilization.
A 21-year-old senior student, Elhadj Mamadou Sow, was « killed by a bullet fired by a law enforcement officer chasing young people » in the Coza district of Conakry, said his uncle at AFP.
“There were clashes, throwing stones and tear gas. At one point, we heard a burst, + pan pan, pan +, we heard screams and all the young people gathered around my nephew, who was on the ground, wounded in the chest, ”he said. added.
His death, due to « a bullet that passed through his chest, » was confirmed by a doctor at the clinic where the young man was evacuated.
The death of another protester in the northern city of Labé has been « confirmed, » the ministry also said.
He is an « 18-year-old boy shot in the head, » a hospital source told AFP. After the death, « demonstrators went to ransack the premises of the court » of the first instance, the same source said. The court “was burned down” by demonstrators, who “also attacked the headquarters of the RPG”, the ruling party, said the Minister of Security.
An AFP correspondent described the capital, Conakry, as nearly stopped, with very few vehicles on the streets and many schools, shops and petrol stations closed.
This beginning of mobilization “is a success”
“The FNDC’s call for resistance is widely followed in several cities in Guinea. This resulted in a total paralysis of the main roads, the closure of shops and businesses, the total or partial cessation of activities or their slowing down depending on the location, « said the FNDC in a statement.
The FNDC has also reported clashes in Conakry, Boffa and N’Zérékoré, and four arrests in the capital.
The start of the mobilization « is a success, » FNDC national official Abdourahmane Sanoh told AFP.
The government had raised concerns about public order and the absence of a demonstration permit to severely suppress the first rallies from October. He then authorized the demonstrations under conditions, without the violence ceasing completely.
Since mid-October, the FNDC has repeatedly taken tens or hundreds of thousands of Guineans to the streets in this small country of 13 million people.
The opposition is convinced that the head of state, elected in 2010 and re-elected in 2015, intends to stand for re-election in late 2020, when the Constitution limits the number of presidential terms to two. She was reinforced in her fears in December when Mr. Condé, 81, indicated that he intended to submit to the Guineans a draft of a new Constitution, even if he did not express himself on his personal intentions.