Between 10 and 21 civilians were killed by ADF militiamen during two new attacks on Tuesday night in the Beni region of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, security sources and civilians told AFP on Wednesday.
Target of a major operation of the Congolese army since late October, the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) also launched Tuesday evening a simultaneous attack against civilians in Oicha, 30 km north of Beni, said- we have the same source. This attack would have made even more victims than in Beni.
The attacks of the ADF against northern neighborhoods of Beni caused as early as Tuesday night population movements to the city center.
The population showed its anger on Wednesday morning targeting, among others, the United Nations Mission in Congo (MONUSCO) on the spot.
« We have just recorded seven deaths that have just been dropped off at the morgue. The young people come to barricade the main road. The vehicles of the Monusco are the target of the demonstrators, « said Kizito Bin Hangi, president of the civil society of Beni.
« Our staffs (in Beni) are confined to home, » said a spokeswoman for Monusco AFP.
The Congolese army announced on October 30 unilateral operations against the ADF, originally an armed group of Ugandan Muslims settled since 1995 in eastern DRC.
Since then, the reprisals attributed to the ADF against civilians have caused 54 deaths, before the violence of last night whose exact balance sheet remains to be established.
The Congolese army launched its operation without the UN force of Monusco, which provides him with information and logistical support (medical evacuations).