The Far-North region of Cameroon has been confronted for several months by a « renewed attack » by Nigerian jihadists from Boko Haram who have killed 275 people, most of them civilians, since the beginning of the year. Amnesty International reported on Wednesday.
« At least 275 people have been killed, others maimed or kidnapped since the beginning of the year with the renewed attacks of Boko Haram in the Far North of Cameroon », writes the organization of defense of the rights of the man in a statement. Of these 275 homicides, 225 are against civilians, says the NGO.
The latter claims to have conducted a field investigation in the Cameroonian region, which has been targeted for five years by Boko Haram attacks, documenting « crimes of international law and a series of human rights abuses committed » by the Nigerian jihadists.
Amnesty International reports on « looting and burning of homes and health centers », as well as « the homicide of a blind person » and the case of « three women with one ear ».
« The people we met in the far north of Cameroon live in terror. Many have already witnessed Boko Haram attacks and lost relatives or acquaintances, « said Samira Daoud, Amnesty International’s regional director for West and Central Africa, quoted in the statement.
« Completely abandoned »
« They feel completely abandoned, » she said, adding that « the Cameroonian authorities urgently need to strengthen their protection in the affected areas ».
The bodies of three villagers, who were kidnapped on Friday with a woman by Boko Haram, were found beheaded, local authorities told AFP on Sunday.
Two days earlier, 17 young Cameroonians, boys and girls aged 11 to 20, had been kidnapped by Boko Haram in the same region. They had not been found on Wednesday.
Since 2014, Cameroon has counted nearly 13,000 attacks of Boko Haram on its territory that have caused « several thousand » deaths, according to Yaoundé. The violence forced more than 250,000 people to flee their homes, causing an influx of 60,000 Nigerian refugees.