The Angolan government finally finds its looted or lost treasure. Since the beginning of this year, more than five billion dollars have been deposited in the coffers of the State.
« I want my money back », Margaret Thatcher said in 1979. If the context of the former British Prime Minister’s formula is different, the comparison cannot be trivial for the Angolan government. Which has just achieved a feat in the process of recovering misappropriated funds.
« We recovered more than $ 5 billion stolen from state coffers this year, » Justice Minister Francisco Queiroz said at a conference in Abu Dhabi on Monday.
If Mr. Queiroz did not provide details on how these funds were misappropriated and recovered, this recovery is part of the fight against corruption promised and started by Joao Lourenço when he came to power in September 2017.
And since then, the children of former president José Eduardo dos Santos have been in the crosshairs of this anti-corruption campaign. Ousted from the general management of the Sovereign Investment Fund, Jose Filomeno dos Santos, the son, is accused of embezzlement of public funds.
He appeared last week with the head of the Central Bank to defend himself for having transferred $ 500 million of public funds to a London account.
His sister Isabel has not been outdone. She was dismissed in November 2017 from the post of CEO of the national oil company, Sonangol. Billed as the richest woman in Africa, she is also under investigation for embezzlement.
Charges that relatives of the 40-year-old who reigned over Angola (1979-2017) have always dismissed reports of a persecution by Luanda against them.